If you plan to use Alexa to call people, you will want to add your contacts to your Alexa device. After you add them, you can use your Alexa device to make phone calls. This is a feature that many people enjoy.
You can add contacts to Alexa through the Alexa app. Once you install it on your smartphone, you can select the “Communicate” tab, and follow the directions to add your contacts to your Alexa device. In addition, you can add our contacts to Alexa manually, and you can choose which contacts you want to import.
Today we are going to tell you all about adding the contacts to your Alexa device.
Can I Manually Add Contacts to Alexa?
In addition to adding your contacts to Alexa through the app, you can add them manually.
This is important if you want to use Alexa to contact someone who isn’t in your contacts list or your address book.
You can add any contacts you want.
You can also set up a group if you want to select people for a group call.
Once you add a contact manually, you can drop in on that person as long as you have permission, or you can call them from your Alexa device.
This makes it easy to return phone calls hands-free as long as your Alexa device is within range of your voice.
How to Add Contacts to Alexa
Adding contacts to Alexa is easy to do. You can enter contacts manually, or you can import the contacts from your contact list on your phone.
You need to use the Alexa app, and it is very easy to get started.
Follow these steps to add your contacts from your contact list on your phone:
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone
- Choose “Communicate” from the bottom of the screen
- Choose the icon of people in the top right corner of the screen
- Select the three dots on the top right of the next screen
- Select “Import Contacts” to import your contact list from your phone
Once you import your contact list, you can choose who has access to you through your Alexa device by selecting “Contact Access.”
You can choose All Contacts or Favorite Contacts Only. You can add people to your favorites to allow them access.
If you want to add contacts manually, you can choose “Add New” from your contacts screen and enter their information.
You can also press the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen and choose “Add Contact” from that screen.
If you want to block anyone, there is a “Block Contacts” option there as well. You can also choose an Emergency Contact on this screen. Once you set up your contacts on Alexa, you can make getting in touch with people simple.
How to Add a Single Contact to Alexa
Some people don’t want to add all of their contacts to Alexa, so they choose to add single contacts.
You might want to add family members and close friends while leaving the majority of your contact list on your phone.
It is easy to add single contacts to Alexa. You can follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app
- Choose “Communicate” from the bottom of the screen
- Choose the person icon in the top right corner
- Look for the “Add New” button with a plus sign next to it
- Choose “Add Contact”
- Enter the first and last name of the contact, a nickname, your relationship, and the mobile phone number
- Click Save” in the top right corner
How to Interact with Contacts Through Alexa
Once you add your contacts, you can interact with them. There are different options on your Alexa devices.
The most obvious is that you can say, “Alexa, call Mom.” If you have Mom as a contact, Alexa will make the call, and you can communicate through your device. You can also use the app to call someone from your contacts list.
If you are interacting with someone who has an Alexa device with a screen, you can share photos. You can go to the communication screen and click on the photo option.
Then, you can choose a picture or video from your camera roll or take one to send. Click on send, and Alexa will send the photo to your contact.
Another way to interact is by dropping in on your contacts.
The contact should also have an Alexa device, and they need to permit you to drop in.
You need to set this up ahead of time, but once it is set up, you can say, “Alexa, drop in on Mom.” Alexa will then drop in. If you and your contact have video, you will see them and they can see you.
The other way to interact with your contacts is through Announcements.
You can choose a simple message, and Alexa will play it on all of your supported devices. You can wake the family up in the morning, let them know that you are on the way home, or send any message.
How to Edit or Update Contacts in Alexa
It is also easy to edit or update any of your contacts in Alexa.
- You can open your Alexa app, and choose “Communicate” from the bottom of the screen.
- Select the contact you want to edit or update.
- Choose “Edit” from the top left corner of the screen.
- You can change the name, nickname, relationship, and phone number of the person.
- Choose “Save” from the top right corner, and your contact is updated.
Why Is Alexa Not Finding My Contacts?
If Alexa isn’t finding your contacts, there are several solutions to try.
- First, make sure that your phone is connected to Wi-Fi without a VPN.
- Then check your app permissions.
- Make sure that the Alexa app has permission to access your contacts.
- You may also need to update your Alexa app, as these updates fix bugs and glitches.
- Make sure that you are using the latest version of the app.
If nothing else works, you can reset your Alexa device. This will clear any errors and allow Alexa to work.
- Just unplug the power adapter from the device or the outlet, wait for 1 minute, and then plug it back in.
If you add your contacts to Alexa, you can make phone calls and more by asking Alexa to do it for you.
You can drop in on family members and share photos, and it is easy to set up and use.
I’ve been working with technology in one way or the other all my life. After graduating from university, I worked as a sales consultant for Verizon for a few years. Now I am a technical support engineer by day and write articles on my own blog here in my spare time to help others if they have any issues with their devices.