Almost every phone nowadays is provided by a network carrier. That means the phone you get is more than likely only going to work with that carrier’s form of a sim card. It can cause a number of issues, and one of them we will discuss today.
Wondering how you can fix your phone when it says “Not allowed for voice calls?” First, contact the carrier to see if they can assist you, dial the unlock code, reinsert the sim properly, automatically select the network you use, and then update the phone.
Let’s dive deeper into this issue and learn you can solve it in more detail.
What Does “Not Allowed For Voice Calls” Mean?
The message “Not allowed for voice calls” means that the device does not recognize the sim card. This happens when you insert a sim into a sim-locked phone. Your phone does not recognize the sim card because it is not one provided by your network carrier.
It is impossible to use a phone that does not have a proper sim card.
How To Fix Your Phone When It Says “Not Allowed For Voice Calls”
There are several ways to fix your phone when you cannot use it to make a call.
1.Contact The Carrier
The first thing you should do is contact the carrier to ask for help. However, reaching them does not necessarily mean your request will automatically be granted. Every network carrier has its own policies and conditions to go through before a phone can be unlocked. Your reason for contacting them is to understand the requirements for eligibility.
- Most often, a network carrier will allow you to unlock your phone after going through their policies. Your network carrier will automatically open your phone when you have finished your contract of purchase or set up a payment plan, which means that you have already paid for the device, so it now belongs to you.
- Some network carriers may grant your request to unlock your phone even if you have not yet finished the contract, provided that your account with them has been in good standing for a certain period of time.
- Others will grant such a request if you intend to use the phone in places not covered, especially when you travel outside the country. However, they will unlock it only temporarily.
- When you are eligible to unlock the phone, another condition you have to go through is that the phone must not be reported as stolen or lost. Almost all network carriers make this condition in order to protect their subscribers.
- Contacting the carrier is a legitimate way to fix your phone. Aside from the help, you may get from them, you will be confident that you are not violating a law or a policy.
But if this option is not for you, there are different methods you can try.
2.Dial The Unlock Code
What do you do when you realize you purchased your phone from someone who you didn’t know was selling you a stolen device? If you try to contact the carrier, the unit has likely already been reported as stolen. Some carriers allow certain unlocking features for emergency purposes.
That feature can be utilized by dialing the unlock code embedded in the phone. The step is pretty straightforward. Just dial *#78#, and your phone will disengage with the carrier.
The only problem is that not all carriers allow such a feature to be installed in their devices. Therefore, dialing this code is still experimental. If this method doesn’t work, try the next step.
3.Reinsert The Sim Card Properly
Sometimes, simply reinserting a sim card works. This method is done when the error message appears despite the sim card belonging to the phone. For example, it occurs when the sim is not correctly inserted.
4.Automatically Select Network
When inserting a sim card from another network carrier, the error message may be trying to explain that a different network has been incorrectly selected. This happens when you make an incorrect network selection in the settings.
Maybe the error message is appearing and you never even inserted a different sim. If this is the case, change the network setting to automatic.
Do so by following these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Select Connections.
- Search for Network Operators.
- Click the Advanced option.
- Tap Automatically Select Network.
- Restart the phone.
5.Update The Phone
Error messages are not always a sign that something is wrong. There are times that they appear as a result of bugs in the OS.
Updating your phone may solve the problem. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and search for About Phone.
- Click About Phone.
- If there’s a message that asks for an update, select Update.
- If not, call the carrier to ask about the problem.
How To Fix Your Phone When It Says “Not Allowed For Voice Calls” On An S9
Not all phones are created equal. There are times you may encounter a message that says “Not allowed for voice calls” for a different reason. For the Samsung Galaxy S9, there may be two reasons:
- Blacklisted Phone
- Software glitch
If the phone is blacklisted, it will be impossible to fix it. But if it’s a glitch, all you need to do is reboot the phone.
The Meaning Of “Sim Not Allowed”
An error message that says “Sim not allowed” typically occurs when the sim is not correctly seated or the phone is overworked. However, it should not be cause for alarm because one simple step can quickly fix it.
How To Fix “Sim Not Allowed”
If you believe that the sim is not correctly seated, reinsert it and restart the phone. But if you notice that your phone seems to be overheating because of constant use, turn off the phone for an extended period of time. Then, turn it back on when it has cooled down.
A message that says “Not allowed for voice calls” is not a technical problem if the phone is not yours or the sim does not belong to the phone. But when it appears, even if you have not made any changes in the settings, the above tips should help you fix the issue.
I’ve been working with technology in one way or the other all my life. After graduating from university, I worked as a sales consultant for Verizon for a few years. Now I am a technical support engineer by day and write articles on my own blog here in my spare time to help others if they have any issues with their devices.