TikTok allows you to become a video creator. If you’ve used the app, you’ve probably seen tons of videos on it and created some yourself. With over 1 billion users, it is one of the top social media platforms in the world.
As popular as it is, if you’ve used TikTok, you’ve probably noticed many users put up poor-quality videos. It’s usually not the user’s fault as TikTok lowers video quality to save data usage and ensure video loads up faster. You can change that though by turning off the “Data Saver” feature.
We explain how you can do that and view high-quality videos on TikTok.
Why Is The Video Quality On TikTok So Bad?
The pre-settings on TikTok want users to have the best experience on the platform. To do that the platform sacrifices video quality, but only to an extent.
The higher the resolution of the video, the more data and time it takes to load.
The platform has a “Data Saver” setting which helps users save data by viewing lower quality videos. These videos load faster but lack the clarity and depth that most creators want you to see.
You can always change the setting and ensure that your videos are of high quality on the app. We explain how you can do that a little later.
Does TikTok Decrease Video Quality?
Yes, TikTok does decrease video quality to enhance user experience. With users from all over the world, TikTok wants to ensure that everyone can view the videos posted by users on the platform.
High-quality videos take longer to load in countries with limited internet connectivity.
With that said, it does give users the option to toggle settings and view videos at higher quality. But that is for those that want to. Also, note that the setting only works for videos that were shot in HD, SD videos will continue to appear in SD quality, which is inferior to HD.
How To View High-Quality Videos On TikTok?
Tired of viewing videos in low-quality on TikTok? Let’s look at how you can turn off the “Data Saver” feature on TikTok to view higher-quality videos. So, you can start enjoying the app even more.
- Open “TikTok”.
- Go to your profile by clicking the “Me” icon in the bottom menu.
- Now, click on the “…” to go into settings.
- Go down until you see the “Data Saver” setting and tap it.
- Toggle the setting off.
Now, the videos you view on the platform should be of better quality. But will take up more data to load, so be mindful of that.
Sometimes the videos uploaded are just of bad quality and there isn’t much you can do to improve those. However, as a video creator, you can take some steps to ensure the video you take is of high quality.
The following tips will help you do that:
- Use a phone with a decent camera. Most modern smartphones are capable of recording HD videos and that is what you should look for.
- Make sure you use the rear camera on your phone. The front-facing camera’s quality is not as good as the rear.
- When uploading the video, make sure you have the “Upload HD” option turned on.
- Make sure the lighting is good in the location you shoot. But also not too much that there is overexposure. You need to balance out the lighting for quality video, so pick a location that lets you do that.
- Use the filter and special effects on the platform. There are tons of them so be sure to toggle through them to see which enhances the video. Make sure that the ones you select do not become overbearing and take away from the message on the video. Find the right balance.
How To Upload Videos On TikTok Without Losing Quality?
As a content creator, you want to make sure that the videos you upload are of high quality. Even if you take HD videos, you need to let TikTok know that you want to upload the video in HD format rather than SD.
We’ve covered tips to help you shoot better videos and now let’s look at how you can ensure they upload in HD:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Tap “+” to start the uploading process, you can either shoot a new video or pick one from your library to upload.
- Once done, tap “Next” and you will be directed to the settings of the post.
- Enter the hashtags and details as you like. You can also select filters and edit the video as you please.
- As you go down the options, you will notice “More Options”, click on that.
- There will be an “Upload HD” option, toggle it on.
- Go back and tap “Post”.
It takes longer to render and post HD videos, so wait while the app does that. Once it is done, go and view the video and see the difference in quality.
It will look almost as good as the original. Note that TikTok only uploads videos up to 1080p. So, even if you shoot a video in 4K resolution, the app will scale it down to 1080p.
Video quality is important on TikTok. Poor video quality can lead to users unfollowing you on the platform. Since most expect quality videos.
You can use the tips mentioned above to ensure you view and upload high-quality videos on the platform. But remember, it will take up more data.
I’ve been working with technology in one way or the other all my life. After graduating from university, I worked as a sales consultant for Verizon for a few years. Now I am a technical support engineer by day and write articles on my own blog here in my spare time to help others if they have any issues with their devices.