As wonderful as Miele dishwashers may be, they do have some flaws. A common issue people come across is the smell they emit after frequent use.
The solution to getting rid of the smell is easy, clean out the dishwasher.
You need to clean the filter and get rid of any food particles stuck inside.
You can use vinegar/baking soda or special Miele dishwasher cleaning products.
To prevent your Miele dishwasher from smelling, make sure to rinse the dishes before putting them into the dishwasher.
Our guide explains the cleaning process and items you can use to keep your dishwasher clean and smelling pleasant.
Why Does Miele Dishwasher Smell?
The purpose of a dishwasher is to clean dirty dishes, glasses, and utensils.
Many users don’t properly rinse the cutlery before putting it in the appliance.
This results in food particles dropping and sticking to various parts of the appliance.
If you don’t clean the dishwasher often, mold will form and spread into the nooks and crannies.
The formation of mold mixed with rotting food is bound to release a pungent smell.
Mold can form in clean dishwashers also, since it requires stagnant water for growth.
So, you need to make sure that the drainage system works well while also cleaning the Miele dishwasher often to prevent a bad smell.
How To Clean Out Miele Dishwasher And Get Rid Of Any Smell?
To get rid of any smell coming from your Miele dishwasher, you need to do the following:
- Empty the dishes from the dishwasher.
- Remove both the racks.
- Depending on the model of the Miele dishwasher you have, remove the filter if there are any. The manual has a guide that locates the filter and mentions how to remove it.
- Clean the filter by soaking them in lukewarm water for about 10 minutes.
- Then, scrub them with a clean toothbrush with a soap and water mixture.
- Now, go back to the dishwasher and clean out any gunk you can find.
- You can use a washcloth and any cleaning product. If you don’t have a cleaning product, then feel free to use soap and water.
- Put the filter back in and leave the dishwasher open, allowing it to dry.
- Once it is dried out, you can put the racks back in.
You can also get rid of the smell in the Miele dishwasher using vinegar and baking soda.
- Empty the Miele dishwasher and place a cup of vinegar.
- Choose a stable bowl, so the vinegar won’t leak too quickly.
- Put it on the top rack of the dishwasher.
- Run one cycle on the hottest setting available.
- Spread a cup of baking soda on the floor of the dishwasher.
- Run one more cycle on the hottest setting available.
- The soda will get rid of the remaining dishwasher smell.
The vinegar will spread throughout the appliance, it will break down any food particles left and leave the dishwasher smelling fresh once done.
Miele also produces fresheners that come in a pod.
These remove any odor from the appliance and leave it smelling fresh.
All you have to do is attach the pod to the upper basket of the washer.
The pod works for over 60 washes, so you won’t have to worry too much about it smelling a week or two after you wash it.
One common household cleaning product you should never use to clean dishwashers is bleach.
Many dishwashers have parts made out of stainless steel.
Bleach stains and damages the steel. Also, mixing bleach with vinegar will result in harmful chlorine gas.
How To Keep Dishwasher Smelling Fresh and Clean?
The trick to keeping your dishwasher smelling fresh is by cleaning it often. Here is a breakdown of what you should do and how often:
- Daily: Inspect the dishwasher after every wash and clean out any food particles that may have dropped from the dishes.
- Weekly: Clean the filter, door, and gasket of the dishwasher. You can use a normal washcloth with a household cleaning product for this.
- Monthly: Deep clean the dishwasher, you can take the approach we have highlighted in the section above. The process would include the use of vinegar and baking soda.
You should clean the exterior of the dishwasher whenever the need arises.
Dishwashers may make our lives easier, but still have to be properly maintained.
If you ignore cleaning your dishwasher, it is bound to smell.
Clean the dishwasher often and use solutions like a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to keep it smelling fresh.
So, you don’t have to deal with bad odor in your kitchen.
Another great tip to prevent your Miele dishwasher from smelling is to rinse all the dishes, so there are no food particles left and nothing can get stuck, causing the smell to appear.
I’ve been working with technology in one way or the other all my life. After graduating from university, I worked as a sales consultant for Verizon for a few years. Now I am a technical support engineer by day and write articles on my own blog here in my spare time to help others if they have any issues with their devices.