The iPhone is one of the most protected phones if you use it as it is. You won’t find many applications in the App Store that are risky because Apple has stringent guidelines that apps need to follow before they can be made available to the public.
There is, however, software available that gives you a chance to download the apps that aren’t in the App Store without the need for jailbreak.
We explain how you can install third-party apps without jailbreaking your iPhone.
What Is A Third-Party App On iPhone?
Third-party applications are any app that is created by developers that are not associated with the mobile or operating system manufacturer.
So, any application that is not developed by Apple is considered to be a third-party app. Most of the apps you find in the App Store are third-party applications because they are not developed by Apple.
However, the App Store may not have all the third-party applications available for download.
This is when users consider jailbreaking their phones, so they can have access to third-party apps that are not available for them to download.
Can You Install Third-Party Apps On iPhone?
Yes, the majority of apps available in the App Store are third-party apps. These can be downloaded to your iPhone.
For apps that are not available in the App Store or available on a third-party App Store, you will either need to jailbreak your phone or use specific software that allows you to download the app. You won’t be able to download them any other way.
Are Third-Party Apps Illegal On iPhone?
Technically, third-party apps are not illegal, but Apple doesn’t endorse the practice of downloading apps from a third-party App Store.
It does so due to security reasons, these apps can come with malware and breach the security of your phone and personal data. So, if you do decide to download a third-party app, make sure it is the one you trust.
How To Download Third-Party Apps On iOS?
To install third-party apps on iOS, you will need to download Cydia Impactor or similar software.
The software allows you to install and execute .iPA files. The process to download third-party apps is as follows:
- Download Cydia Impactor on your PC, it works with Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Connect your iPhone through a USB to the PC with Cydia Impactor.
- Run Cydia Impactor.
- Pick your device from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Now, you will need to drag and drop the .ipa file of the app you want to download. So, if you haven’t already downloaded the .ipa file, do that now.
- You will be prompted to provide your Apple ID and a password. The password you put is not your primary password but app-specific. So, make sure you use that.
- The app will now start to install on your iPhone.
Once the app is downloaded, you need to go to your phone and trust its certificates.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app.
- Tap ‘General’.
- Tap ‘Device Management’.
- Tap ‘Your Developer Account’.
- Finally, tap ‘Trust’.
The app should run smoothly now. You have other software options such as Xcode and so on. Go with whichever you find the easiest to use.
How To Sideload Apps On An iPhone Without Jailbreak?
You can sideload apps to the iPhone through the AltStore. The AltStore lets you run .ipa files that you’ve saved to the Files app.
All you have to do is download the AltStore app and run the .ipa file with it. You don’t need to jailbreak the phone to use AltStore and it locates the files on the phone automatically, once you have them.
Tips For Protecting Yourself When Downloading From A Third-Party App Store
Keep the followings tips in mind when you download from a third-party App Store:
- Make sure to do your research before you download from a third-party App Store. Make sure the site is secure, one way to do that is to check the HTTPS security and also read the terms and conditions carefully.
- Stay clear of any pop-ups or advertisements that appear on the website. These can infect your operating system, even if you don’t end up downloading anything from them.
- For applications such as Instagram and other reliable apps, avoid downloading any hack apps because they will violate the terms of the original app.
- If you download a lot of third-party apps, it is smart to have an anti-virus on your phone. These can scan your phone for malware and other issues that may come up due to unreliable third-party apps.
There are tons of applications that are not available in the App Store but are available in general. You don’t necessarily have to jailbreak your iPhone in order to download and use them.
There are software and sideloading options available that allow you to download and use the app.
These options are slightly better but remember that the source you get the .ipa file should be reliable. Otherwise, you risk the security of your phone and data.
I’ve been working with technology in one way or the other all my life. After graduating from university, I worked as a sales consultant for Verizon for a few years. Now I am a technical support engineer by day and write articles on my own blog here in my spare time to help others if they have any issues with their devices.